When on holiday kids can be quite happy to play in the pool or on the beach, the sand and the sea ALL DAY LONG! Life is simple isn't it!
But it's nice to have alternatives. Either the kids need a break from the strong sun, or you've turned into a prune! Keeping the littles ones entertained at such times can be hard work and expensive!
The list of things kids can do is certainly not limited but here's my TOP TEN:
1. Turtle spotting in Argostoli - Spend the morning walking up and down the harbour by the fishing boats and spot the turtles. Often you will see volunteers from Wildlife Sense hovering about. If you wanted to get more involved, speak to them about how you can help. They do regular patrols on the beaches looking for nests and also inventories of nests once the eggs hatch.
2. Pedal boats in Argostoli Lagoon - Another great way to go turtle spotting is to hire one of the pedal boats at Argostoli Lagoon Activities. The lagoon lies at the head of Argostoli Bay and is an attractive nature reserve for wildlife. From the harbour front you can walk or cycle along the wide path around the lagoon to a shady forest of eucalyptus and pine trees that constitute the town’s largest park. Or you can waste an hour pedalling slowly or rent an electric pedal boat if you don't feel that energetic!
3. Horse riding - Kefalonia Horseriding Stables in Sami offer days out trekking on the beach or up in the hills. They cater for children aged 6 and above and have four horses between 1.30-1.50metres, making them ideal for kids. They breed their own horses which are of Hellenic breed in their effort to sustain the development of the region.
4. Water park in Lixouri - The Ionian Sea hotel is situated on the south end of the island, in the quiet, unspoilt green countryside 7 kilometres from the picturesque town of Lixouri. The hotel is a mere 100 meters from a beautiful red sandy beach. Built in extensive grounds, this hotel in Kefalonia offers two swimming pools and one pool for children, aqua park, a pool-bar, restaurant and a Greek traditional tavern (with traditional cuisine), one playground, children's station, sport facilities, mini market, parking and a beautiful natural garden.
5. The ARK (Animal Rescue Kefalonia) Shelter - Located just five minutes from Argostoli Cenre, the ARK Animal Shelter is home to over 300 dogs and 40 cats at any one time. With only two workers running the shelter on a daily basis, the need for volunteers to help with the day to day care of the animals is vital. Volunteers are welcome even if it's just an hour of your time. Or simply go visit. Maybe take a dog or cat a small gift i.e. toy or blanket. The animals are very friendly, and love nothing more than a visit from a new friend.
6. Mellisani Cave - One of Kefalonia's main tourist attractions, Mellisani Cave is situated Northwest of Sami. An enchanting underground lake you can explore on a small rowing boat. The boatmen help you on and off the boat and guide you around a magical world of it's own, with crystal clear waters. It can get busy after lunch when all the coach tours arrive in their drowns so best to go in the morning.
8. Procris Park Argostoli - The largest and most modern playground in Kefalonia operates here. This is a magical space, fully equipped with games and activities for children and adults, targeted at children aged 1-12 years. Children will be thrilled with the inflatable castles, toy cars, the basketball ground, the inflatable pool balls and the electric go-kart cars on a specially-constructed track. Source: www.greekguide.com
9. Ice cream at Crepaland - Crepaland have shops in Argostoli Square, Agia Efimia & Fiscardo. Not only do they offer an amazing range of flavours in ice-cream, they also do yummy crepes, waffles & pancakes!
10. Cruise on the Lady O - Last but certainly not least, why not treat yourselves to a family day out and join us for a Relax BBQ Cruise. The day begins at 09:00 from Argostoli and goes to White Rocks Beach (via Lixouri) for a lovely swim in the crystal clear sea. On the way you may be lucky enough to spot turtles or dolphins. We then go to Mania Beach and/or Vardiani Island (weather permitting) for a mouth watering BBQ with unlimited white wine while on the beach.
You can then slap on some local clay all over you, where it is said to make you look 10 years younger!
After soaking in the sun and more swimming and dancing, we will make our way back to Argostoli (via Lixouri) for approximately 17:30.
The Lady O has plenty of space inside and out, shaded and full sun, so everyone can find a spot that meets their needs.
Special rates for children!